The Higher Council for Science and Technology
The Council for Science and Technology was established in 1987 with the objective of building a national science and technology base to contribute to the achievement of development objectives, through increasing awareness of the significance of scientific research and development, granting the necessary funding and directing scientific and research activities, within national priorities, in harmony with development orientations. The Council was also entrusted with the establishment of specialized centers, as the need arose, while also representing the Kingdom in scientific and technological activities, at the Arab, regional and international levels.
The Council exercises the following jurisdictions and responsibilities:
- Ratifying general policies pertaining to science and technology in the Kingdom, defining priorities, drawing-up programs and plans emanating from them and following up on their implementation and evaluation.
- Drawing-up appropriate strategies for the enhancement of scientific and technological capabilities in the Kingdom and creating the suitable climate for achieving this aim.
- Supporting the institutions and units of scientific and technological research and providing the necessary funding for supporting scientific and technological research and services within the Kingdom.
- Contributing to the supply and training of manpower and the technical potential of scientific and technological institutions.
- Specifying the conditions and requirements to be made available at accredited scientific centers of excellence and working towards the support and development of such centers.
- Ratifying the principles and criteria upon which the Council provides financial support for scientific and technological research, programs, services and activities in order to accomplish the goals of national policy in those fields.
- Approving the annual budget of the Council and supervising its implementation.
- Representing the Kingdom before Arab, regional and international institutions concerned with science and technology.
- Undertaking scientific and technological cooperation and concluding agreements related to scientific and technological research in collaboration with local, Arab, regional and international entities.
- Establishing of specialized centers, as the need arose,
- Considering any other matters the Council may consider.
The General Secretariat of the Higher Council follows up scientific and technological activities through the departments and units, including the International Cooperation Department, Business, Department of Policies and Management of Scientific Projects, Financial Department, Administrative Department.
The General Secretariat has a Secretary-General appointed by Royal Decree on the recommendation of the Higher Council.
The tasks of the General Secretariat of the Higher Council include the following:
- Preparation of national science and technology policy.
- Evaluation and follow-up of projects supported by the Higher Council.
- Supervision of the Industrial Scientific Research and Development Fund
- Study of national scientific and technological needs and potentials.
- Follow up the implementation of agreements and memorandums of understanding of international scientific and technological cooperation.
Centers Affiliated to the Higher Council for Science and Technology:
- The National Center for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Genetics (www.ncd.org.jo)
- The National Center for Human Resources Development (www.nchrd.gov.jo)
- The National Center for Research and Development (www.ncrd.gov.jo)
- National Center for Innovation (NCI).
- King Abdullah II Center for Nanotechnology.
- PO Box
- Amman Ahmed Al Tarawneh Street /the Royal Scientific Society /- Building No. 70 Campus of Royal Scientific Society
- (962-6) 53 40 401
- ZIP Code
- (962-6) 53 40 589