National Agricultural Research Center
Since its early beginnings, the NARC aims at utilizing the outcomes of the agricultural research that is developed locally or devised from other sources for the purposes of increasing agricultural production, both plant and animal production, and improving it and its efficiency; (ii) conserving the agricultural natural resources and optimizing their use; (iii) serving the purposes of agricultural development; and (iv) preserving the environmental balance.
The organizational structure of NARC is superintended by the council of this center, whose head is the minister of agriculture, and which includes the general director of the center as deputy of the chief of the council; the general secretary of the Higher Council for Science and Technology; the general secretary of the Ministry of Agriculture; a representative of the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation; a representative of the Ministry of Water and Irrigation; two of the deans of the agricultural faculties in the public Jordanian universities; dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in the University of Science and Technology, chief of the Jordanian Agricultural Engineers Association;chief of the Jordanian Farmers Union, and two persons with specialization and expertise in the agricultural field.
The NARC achieves its objectives through performing its tasks as specified by Article 5 of Bylaw 42 for the year 2018. These tasks are (i) determining, in cooperation with the stakeholders, the priorities of the national agricultural research that serve the agricultural development purposes; (ii) devising the agricultural technology that is appropriate for the local environment and approving it to achieve the optimum utilization of the natural resources; (iii) disseminating the transferred, adapted, and developed agricultural technologies to the related parties; (iv) developing the skills of the people working in the agricultural sector and holding specialized training courses, conferences, and workshops; (v) cooperating with the local, Arab, and international organizations for conducting the agricultural research programs and providing consultations and technical services in the agricultural domain; (vi) performing field surveys of the animal and plant biodiversity with the purpose of preserving them from distinction and extinction; (vii) keeping the plant seeds in the National Seed Bank in the center and supervising them; and (viii) embracing and managing the National Library for Agricultural Information.
A center of excellence in agricultural research, and the optimal use of available resources to achieve sustainable agricultural growth
Promote the agricultural sector through the implementation of agricultural research, and through the introduction of appropriate and effective technology in cooperation with relevant national, regional, and international institutions for enhancing the economic and environmental level of Jordanian farmers
- knowledge management
- Determine the priorities of the national agricultural scientific research in cooperation with the relevant bodies that serve the purposes of agricultural development
- Develop and accredit agricultural technologies suitable for local conditions to achieve optimal utilization of productive resources
- Disseminate the transferred, adapted or updated agricultural techniques to the relevant parties
- Perform capacity building for workers in the agricultural sector through training courses, conferences and specialized workshops
- Cooperate with Local, Arabic, and International institutions to implement agricultural research programs
- Provide technical consultancy and services in the agricultural field
- Perform field studies and surveys of plant and animal biodiversity in order to protect them from extinction, and to store, supervise and preserve plant seeds in the National Seed Bank at the Center
- Supervise the National Agricultural Information Library
- PO Box
- Amman, Al-Baqa, Rajab Al-Selebi street, opposite the Satellite Station, Building No. 2
- ZIP Code